River City Volkswagen Club  
Home •  Club Meetings •  Gatherings •  Car Pics •  Links •  Message Board
FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Calendar •  Album
Register •  Profile •  Log in to check your private messages •  Log in

Ball Joints in the Valley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robl245

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Ball Joints in the Valley Reply with quote

Hey everybody,

Does anyone know if there's someone who can replace vw ball joints in the Spokane Valley? (late model standard Beetle)

Thanks,

Rob
robl245

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Mitchell's Import Service Reply with quote

OK, so I'll answer my own question for anyone who might try searching the forum wondering the same thing. There aparently isn't anyone in the valley who can do that. The front beam has been riding around in the back of my 4Runner for a few days now. I wound up taking it up to Mitchell's Import Service up off Francis. It seems like a decent little shop. The guy that runs it seems like he knows his stuff, and didn't seem to mind spending some time talking to me and answering a few questions. Nice guy.

The only recommendation I have is to call before you drive up there to make sure he's there.
Mr Bs Bug N Buggy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to offer and try to do them but I have only done one set and that was with Troy. We struggled a bit getting them back in, we got them right out but putting them in was a pain and I feel it is because my press is to small. All in all I think it worked fine for Troy, it was just a pain.

On another note, I have obtained some more old school tooling for ball joints since then, but have not tried it yet and think I will try a set for myself, or just do a set of arms and have them ready and if someone needs them I could just do an exchange.

Troy and I did it the old fashioned way ..... Wink

Hopefully that fella has a nice big press cause they go in pretty stiff.... Laughing

Dune Buggies are unequaled in "smiles per mile"
jengel451

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Hot VW just did a big article on ball joints last month or so, was pretty interesting to see how varied the sizes were and what to look for.
Troy Hobbs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Ball Joints in the Valley Reply with quote

As I read that article I thought about the set Darren did for me, might have been some of the problem. They must not have been the really oversize ones though, they moved freely when we were done.

I would trust Mitchells to do them.

ARR #3
Mr Bs Bug N Buggy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think it would be a job hard to price though, you would almost have to do it by the hour. It wouldn't be the installers fault if it is a pain because of them being bad tolerances and takes longer then expected.... Wink

robl245

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses guys. He had no problem installing it. I gave him my beam and the guy said it only needed the one lower joint. The cost with tax was $70.
Mr Bs Bug N Buggy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robl245 wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys. He had no problem installing it. I gave him my beam and the guy said it only needed the one lower joint. The cost with tax was $70.

HHMMM 70.00......Hear that Troy....let's see....what do I need...... Wink Kidding my friend, I had a blast with ya that day Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    River City Volkswagen Club Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: